PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased PDS

peaps
29th February 2008, 13:51
Hi everyone,

I've just placed an online order for PDS and looking forward to receiving it.

I've owned meLabs's Pic Basic Pro compiler for some years now, but the lack of development shown by meLabs and the severe lack of 32 bit arithmetic has forced me to move to a different platform.

The thing I like about proton basic is that the language syntax is very similar to PBP. I also like the fact you can interface to SD cards and graphics LCDs, but as I say, it really boils down to 32bit floating point maths that swayed me.

One of the things I will be using PICs for is calculating angles with ATAN, -something that is impossible with meLabs PBP.

So it looks like a great product and I look forward to using it. Full credit to Les and the team at Crownhill for their on-going dedication to improving an easy to use Basic compiler for the PIC. :cool:

--Andy Peaple

Cruster
29th February 2008, 14:07
Hi Andy & welcome. I'm sure you'll love using PDS - good decision! ;) There's lots of help available here as there's lots of friendly & knowledgeable folk who are only too willing to help out when someone gets stuck. That's partly what makes this forum such a great place to be a member of. :)

Maverick
29th February 2008, 14:30
Welcome to the gang , as cruster says there are plenty of people here that are happy to help you out , don't forget to register your purchase with the forum for the licensed user badge of glory :D

peaps
29th February 2008, 14:30
Hi Cruster,

Thanks. I am just reading through the manual now, and I keep thinking "ow, that's useful", and "I will defo use that command" etc...

I like the fact that the language can 'make use' of the 16bit core devices, streching them to their limit. I've got loads of 18F2525s at home doing nothing, because in the past, I had no need to use such a powerful processor.

...times have changed! :D

Mark Rodgers
29th February 2008, 21:32
Hello Andy, where abouts in HH are you, know it very well.

fanie
29th February 2008, 22:53
WOW !!! Someone who's reading the manual ! I'm impressed :D

Ok, it's not so far fetched, it is on my to do list ;) (somewhere :rolleyes:)

I have one question for you English - when are you finally going to switch over completely to the metric system ?

No you haven't - your currency is still pounds, it should be kilograms eh ! :D

RGV250
29th February 2008, 23:28
I have one question for you English - when are you finally going to switch over completely to the metric system ?

The question should really be, when are you all going to convert to Imperial ?

And we still drink in pints 'cos we invented this drinking lark.

Bobby

And "go the extra Kilometer" is not quite the same as "go the extra mile"

Nigel Worsley
1st March 2008, 00:37
And "go the extra Kilometer" is not quite the same as "go the extra mile"Indeed it isn't, it should be "go the extra 1.6 kilometres" :D

fanie
1st March 2008, 10:30
Bobby, in memory of the old days struggle with the old imperial we are going to keep some 'sayings', kinda as a bad reminder of the good old bad days...

Like 'yardstick' the 'extra mile' as you pointed out, 6" will always be 6" and so will 9" but I'm not going to go into those into details now. So, you can still have your pint as long as you remember it's old. Just try and remember that people above a certain age have some difficulties with converting to metric and they may even be motivated to concoct absurd and far fetched theories and excuses to justify why the old system is better. Just check post #7 ;)

Surely you can remember there was a time where people could only count to 10... really, they counted 'aye', 'aye aye', 'aye aye aye', 'aye Vee' and so on, then wrote it as I, II, III, IV, V, VI and to X. It seems like a bad mix between binary and decimal. To count on they again started with IX and ended with XX (like the byte rolled over). By the time people counted to XXX :D they lost interest in counting anyway since it actually means something else ;) and conservative as they were you could end up stoned or burned back then if you counted to XXX out loud, so if you counted you'd count silently. Although I have my doubts if they could in fact count to that many. It probably was a matter of counting I, II, III, many, hordes, or calculated VII + XXXXI + XIIV = some number.

They couldn't recognize a '0' then, there was no zero (check your old clock to see I'm right :D) and so they couldn't develop computers (or pics) back then as bits could only be ON or 'I' ('AYE'). See what I mean ? An 8 bit processor would have VIII bits - all bits were always I. Just exactly how do you pronounce your disk space size using these things any way ! Humor me :rolleyes:

Now with the imperial sytem the English thought they were very clever, but just think about it for a second. If your pic (and this is a pic forum) has to read a voltage in, how would it work for you if instead of 1.6V you'd express it as 'one and three fifths' volt or I have 'one eighth' of the port pins on meaning one bit is on, or the 'second eighth bit' is now off... Can you imagine Tim doing interrupts this way :eek: Remember you got spoiled using the metrics already unknowingly but just wouldn't admit it. It gets worse as the bytes gets wider. Try working with 32 bits and not use metrics. Also, never say 'N factorial', simply scream 'N' at the top of your lungs.

You guys measured a horse's height in hands... but length in feet, which brings to mind there were confusion about height and length not being the same. Well, if that wasn't so then how many hands in a foot ? Or worse how many inches in a hand ? The answer of course is none, since there are five fingers on each hand. (maybe not where you live :D)

Now lets look at your financial situation. You have four farthings in a penny, four pence in a groat, twelve pence in a shilling, two shillings in a florin, five shillings in a crown, twenty shillings in a pound sovereign, and twenty one shillings in a guinea. To make it worse the UK guys that went to the USA even used odd denomination coins, such as the ha’penny, the twopenny, and the threepenny coins. (No wonder the US have troubles getting their money's worth on the stock market today :D which goes to show the rest of the world is not buying into the Us's non-metrics) Oh I know you later tried to cover it up by changing some of the coins and the amounts per whatever, but just because I'm from SA doesn't mean we don't know about your bugger-ups :D

Sadly in 1981, the closure of the U.S. Metric Board under Reagan helped keep the U.S. (down) with Liberia and Myanmar as the only country that won't go metric, but then, you should never judge a man until you've walked 1.609344 kilometers in his shoes.

The metric system is not perfect although superior to the others. For instance, if you take two pieces of wire with two knots in each and you tie them (add) together you end up with 5 knots, and so 2 + 2 is not always 4. Four male rabbits + four female rabbits never equates to eight rabbits either. I'm not even going to go into the color theorem of adding the four main colors.... :rolleyes: Yes, four.

I'll leave you clever gus with this thought -
"What's one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one?"
"I don't know" said Alice. "I lost count."
"She can't do addition." said the Red Queen.
(Lewis Carrol, Through the lookingglass, pic clock too slow to count all the pulses)

Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

fanie
1st March 2008, 10:40
Gee Mav, only 10 smilies per post is a bit weak don't you think ? The message said 14 is too much I must speak to you ! I'm speaking to you.

Maverick
1st March 2008, 10:43
I can think of one good reason to stick with imperial, if you ask for a beer on the continent you get 500ml glass ,, here you get a good ol British pint which is 570ml ,, so pound for pound (bit of an imperial pun there) you get 14% more pissed :D or 1/7th if you like :D

fanie
1st March 2008, 10:59
No but seriously Mav, if the US guys were't so narrow minded to cling (desperately) to their old system, we would have 10 bit pics as the smallest byted pics... then 20 bit and so on.

Have you any idea how easy and obvious the metric pic's numbering system would be :D

RGV250
1st March 2008, 11:06
Actually I think you are wrong Mav, as 1/2 liter (oops 500ml) is a girls measure you only have to take a couple of sips and the glass seems nearly empty so you neck it back and have another one. 1 liter is too big, you end up with warm beer,(great if you drink bitter).

As for

Now lets look at your financial situation. You have four farthings in a penny, four pence in a groat, twelve pence in a shilling, two shillings in a florin, five shillings in a crown, twenty shillings in a pound sovereign, and twenty one shillings in a guinea. To make it worse the UK guys that went to the USA even used odd denomination coins, such as the ha’penny, the twopenny, and the threepenny coins. (No wonder the US have troubles getting their money's worth on the stock market today which goes to show the rest of the world is not buying into the Us's non-metrics) Oh I know you later tried to cover it up by changing some of the coins and the amounts per whatever, but just because I'm from SA doesn't mean we don't know about your bugger-ups
Is your news that far behind us, we changed to metric some 25 years ago.

And why not scrap decimal and count in HEX, think of the havoc on the roads, but the good side would be "I am going for "A" pint darling.

Bobby

fanie
1st March 2008, 11:22
we changed to metric some 25 years ago
I know, but at the rate time goes it feels like yesterday...

PLEASE don't notify our gov of the HEX (or worse OCT) numbering systems, they may get the idea they can improve our ZAR currency...

but the good side would be "I am going for "A" pint darling.
That'ed be a five seventy then...

Maverick
1st March 2008, 12:02
I must admit the imperial system is an outdated pile of pap.
We still have miles and pounds and ounces (but they are only there for the oldies) grams and kilograms makes more sense.
Why America hangs on to imperial measures (when they wanted to cast of imperial rule from England) is beyond me. Whats left is a mish mash mix of imperial type metric 'mils and thous' and a lot of screws and pipe fittings that you can't find the right tap for :D UNC, BNF, Whitworth ,, isn't there already enough data to plop into your head without all that ?

I can't handle 3/32ths of an inch , it makes my head hurt , I have to convert it to metric for it to make sense Inch=2.54mm ahh now thats a measure I can work with, div by 32 the multiply by 3 ,, nice an easy and an answer that comes out in mm :D; lol

RGV250
1st March 2008, 12:13
Hmm, Small inches

Inch=2.54mm

Bobby

bill9399
1st March 2008, 12:35
Hey Fanie. Have you ever tried counting in French, you know, those guys who invented the metric system?

In French, 99 =

quatre vingt dix huit =

(4*20) + 10 + 8

You practically need a maths degree.

And you think the imperial system is crazy?

Maverick
1st March 2008, 12:42
Hmm, Small inches

Bobby

haha yeah got me CM i meant ,, to tired to think

bill9399
1st March 2008, 13:53
OOPS!

quatre vingt dix huit = 98

See what I mean about needing a maths degree?

pic-ignorant
1st March 2008, 15:44
1 litre=100mm Cube(or 10cm if you prefer), fill it with water and it weighs 1KG
1000 litres = 1 cubic metre, fill it with water and it weighs a metric tonne.

I like the simple life:)

fanie
1st March 2008, 16:27
I can remember when SA changed to the metric system. For a while some things were confusing and then suddenly everything worked. I should add better. Around here it is difficult to imagine going back.

Pic-ig, it has to be fresh water. Sea water weighs 1.023kg/100mm^3 and a cubic meter sea water weights 1023kg.

Now if we could get time to have ie 10 hours and 100 minutes and 100 seconds as well as the lat / lon and circles to be similar in ten's degrees everything will work even better :D

Here we go again :D Oh and don't forget to change the UK's currency to kg :D

pmcleod
1st March 2008, 17:12
Regarding changing UK's currency to the single euopean currency the EU have issued a directive, as of 1st march we are no longer supposed to to "spend a penny", now we have to Euronate ;-)

pic-ignorant
1st March 2008, 17:40
I think most of us will be more than happy to 'euronate' that directive! :D

pmcleod
1st March 2008, 17:46
I know I will

Maverick
1st March 2008, 17:51
Sea Water isn't actually water, it's a saline solution full salt and other junk (sharks and whatnot) water is and always will be water, H20, Two Hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom ,, add another oxygen atom H2O2 and it becomes hydrogen peroxide (but that's another story) so
1 litre=100mm Cube(or 10cm if you prefer), fill it with water and it weighs 1KG
1000 litres = 1 cubic metre, fill it with water and it weighs a metric tonne. is actually spot on :D ;)

Of course if you view all atoms as quantum wave functions spread across N dimensions , then up is down left is right and none really knows what anything really is :D

They can stick the Euro up their bottoms

pic-ignorant
1st March 2008, 20:31
I'd hate to think what Peaps must be making of his thread...

If you asked somebody to twist a sentence around from buying PDS to whether or not salt water is water, they would probably struggle! LOL

Cruster
1st March 2008, 23:54
If you asked somebody to twist a sentence around from buying PDS to whether or not salt water is water, they would probably struggle! LOL
Spot on! ;) :D

fanie
2nd March 2008, 10:54
Well, since Peaps is a bit slow to respond to the thread, what's wrong with a bit of drivel ?

Sea Water isn't actually water, it's a saline solution full salt

The weight is still 1023kg/cu m.

Now Mav, one has to be very carefull how you disrespectfully wave the existance of something. Sea water is going to be the next high power fuel source. On Youtube.com search for burning water. Chem labs are already using this as a very hot clean burning heat source.
There are only two reasons why this doesn't get implimented as a fuel source yet.
1 - They don't know how to rip you off with the sea water yet.
2 - A LOT of money is invested in petrolium fuel, you just can't throw it overboard overnight ;)

fanie
2nd March 2008, 11:00
A note on the 'pound' currency. There is roughly 2.2kg's in a pound. If you do change the pound to kilograms, do you realize how bad everyone else's currency is going to look :D

fanie
2nd March 2008, 21:55
There is roughly 2.2kg's in a pound - I'm so glad no one picked up on this :D Mav, you're not making corrections here... you make people look bad man :o

Sivaguru
3rd March 2008, 15:03
His innocent purchase has been turned all out into an attack on the British ... hmm ...

Peaps .... where are you? We are the good guys you know. We only talk about "Euronating" once in a while. We have people from the level of "pic-ignorant" to the level of "pico-nauts" here. Others have gone to the point of no return ---> "pico-nuts".

Anyway they are a good bunch of guys to hang around with. Peaps???:o

pic-ignorant
3rd March 2008, 20:21
Sivaguru?? Can I be slightly off the lower end of the spectrum??

I've got an automatic gate going here, with 2 brushless DC motors sync'ed together, limit switches, 4 IR beam breaks and a graphic display :)

Surely that must put me 3rd, maybe even fourth from the bottom??? :P

fanie
3rd March 2008, 21:23
I just bet I'm getting sorted under the "pico-nuts" catagory eh :mad:

I suspect most guys here what catagory they fall under eh ;) Now why did you have to bring this up.

peaps
5th March 2008, 10:59
Crikey...! :eek: I didn't realise what'd happened to this thread till I just logged on again.

Hello Andy, where abouts in HH are you, know it very well.

Hi Mark, I live in Heath Road at the moment. I would prefer to not give an exact GPS location if possible due to 'the internet'!

Andy

peaps
5th March 2008, 11:00
So how do I change my user type from Forum User to Licensed user then? :confused:

Maverick
5th March 2008, 11:19
In the forum , choose 'User Control Panel' and on the left side choose 'Edit Options' Enter your purchase details and invoice number and tick the 'Validate me' Box.

Crownhill will then compare your details to their sales records for your purchase.
They will then Validate your purchase and upgrade you to 'Licensed User' status :D This may take them a little while to do ,, so don't worry that you don't go to licensed status imidatley :D

peaps
5th March 2008, 11:27
Cool, thanks. I left the CD case at home so even more time before I get my status...