PDA

View Full Version : It's verrrry quiet in here.........

rcurl
29th June 2007, 14:35
I'm about to begin work on a project involving saving data to a USB thumb drive. I'll probably be using the USBwiz.

There seems to be almost no activity in this forum about this. Has anyone successfully implemented the USBwiz using the new commands in the compiler?

Thanks!

-Rick

Richard
29th June 2007, 15:03
Rick, that sounds like a very interesting project. Especially since they run on 5V which elimininates the regulator etc.

BTW is there no way to directly interface the drive without a chip like USBwiz ?

rcurl
29th June 2007, 18:03
BTW is there no way to directly interface the drive without a chip like USBwiz ?
Not that I know of. Writing to a USB drive requires that you be in "Host" mode. The built-in USB functionality in a PIC will do slave mode only.

Note that Crownhill sells the USBwiz, so I hope that means this has been done before. I scoured this forum and Protongeeks, but I'm not finding any success stories.

Here's a (possibly biased) comparison of different chips that will do the job: http://www.ghielectronics.com/download/general/comparison.pdf

-Rick

Nigel Worsley
30th June 2007, 06:37
Here's a (possibly biased) comparison of different chips that will do the job
Interesting, the USBWiz definitely looks to be the most capable solution. At well over twice the price of the Vinculum, so it should be!