PDA

View Full Version : PDS Price reduction

Lester
10th May 2007, 14:04
Crownhill Associates Limited, suppliers of innovative PIC microcontroller development tools, are pleased to announce new prices for the Proton Development Suite, the popular PIC Micro programming environment.

Crownhill would like to extend its thanks to the existing user base, who have supported and helped mould the product into the powerful tool that it is today.

Next year will be the tenth anniversary with the PIC BASIC Product, Les has been on-board for seven of them, working hard to rewrite the entire product from ground up to make it the very best of breed. Les says “Development is on going, it doesn’t stop here, I’ve plenty more ideas and innovations”
Read More (http://www.crownhill.co.uk/datasheets/PDS_Price_Summer_2007.pdf) Buy Now (http://www.crownhill.co.uk/product.php?prod=1334)

Lester Wilson - Crownhill Associates Limited

fanie
10th May 2007, 16:14
Hi Lester !

Well, you're right about the smiles all round , had someone enquire about it today and I'm sure they'll be happy with your announcement.

If I know the price was going to be reduced :eek: I'd a waited before I bought mine ! ;)

Probably, the best news is

Les says “Development is on going, it doesn’t stop here, I’ve plenty more ideas and innovations”

I think more than a few of us hope this will include the 16-bit devices :)

Don Stratton
10th May 2007, 17:51
I see in the press release you mention the new free version that will have no limit on program length and support for more chips. When is the new free version coming out? Are there any more details as to what it does and does not do compared to the full version?

--Don

Lester
10th May 2007, 18:24
Hello, the new Lite version is planned, its not going to be released this month for sure.

There is still some work to go into the Lite, but yes its planned to remove the 50 line limit and allow a more open evaluation of the performnace of PDS.

Of course there will be differences between the Lite and the Full Commercial product. The aim is to make the Lite version versatile enough to satisfy those that want to really see what proton can do for them, without giving them the whole product for free! The 50 line limit was seen by many to be too restrictive. As usual, Les is keen to please everyone, so he's working hard to make a Lite version thats more usable and support the most commonly used devices.

We''ll announce the Lite when its ready for release and we'll list the differences so that its quite clear what you will not be getting.

lubo_
11th May 2007, 08:25
Hello Lester:)

“Development is on going, it doesn’t stop here, I’ve plenty more ideas and innovations”

Can you tell us a bit more now?

Best Regards

Lester
11th May 2007, 12:40
Hi,

"Can you tell us a bit more now?"

Not right now, development is ongoing and we'll make announcements on the forum before anywhere else, so you'll be well informed if you keep an eye on the forum.

lubo_
11th May 2007, 13:14
Okay.Thank you Lester.:)

John Drew
13th May 2007, 07:48
Great progam Lester, worth every penny old or new prices BUT dreadful spelling in the press release. In the pdf explaining the new deal you describe a 'Commercial license'.
What happened to the Queen's English? Has Crownhill moved to the US of A?

'Commercial licence' please.

License is the verb
Licence is the noun

The sky is about to fall in....
Cheers
John
(once a chalkie always a chalkie)

bill9399
13th May 2007, 10:32
[QUOTE=John Drew;44761]Great progam Lester, .......
What happened to the Queen's English? Has Crownhill moved to the US of A?

John
(once a chalkie always a chalkie)[/QUOTE

Isn't the correct English spelling 'programme', John ?

C_Moore
13th May 2007, 15:39
'Commercial licence' please.

License is the verb
Licence is the noun

This is from dictionary.com :)

li·cense
n.

Official or legal permission to do or own a specified thing.

fanie
13th May 2007, 21:29
Official or legal permission to do or own a specified thing.

So Charlie, the permission means you can cpell at any way you like :cool: ?? in this case presumed official comming from Crownhill and they do own their own specified spelling, no ?

dictionary.com

US or UK ?

I say they can fowl the langwidge up if the price is rite ! How did your GPS behave on the mountain ?

C_Moore
13th May 2007, 22:03
So Charlie, the permission means you can cpell at any way you like ?? in this case presumed official comming from Crownhill and they do own their own specified spelling, no ?

absolutely right.

And thats US.;)

Lester
14th May 2007, 10:00
Good morning,

Looking at documents from our legal advisors, I see that they prefer to use "Licence"

I tend to use license since it works better in my mind when I write "licensee" and "licensor" they don't seem to work for me if I spell them "licencee" and "licencor"

It seems that I prefer the American form, I'm sure that you'll all have your opinion as to what that says about me! :-)

From a quick review of the dictionaries that I have to hand, it seems they are interchangeable and not specific to Noun or Verb. One commonwealth and the other US, variants.

Anyway, anyone who's ever read any of my posts knows that I make many spelling errors, I can't type and a try to type as fast as I think, its a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for your input, i'll try to ensure that i use the English version from now on, lesson learned.

Should I open a forum section for grammer and spelling issues??

bill9399
14th May 2007, 19:25
Would that be International English? Queens English? or Murkin English, Lester?

fanie
15th May 2007, 00:25
I've seen the Queen on TV, but who's Murkin ? ;)

Lester
15th May 2007, 08:06
Well Bill,

I think that, orginally, the discussion stemmed from my use of "International" English, I was proposing to use The Queens English in future, however your suggestion of Murkin English got me thinking.............Based on my beer consumption, the vast majority of the time i'm probably speaking and writing Firkin English!

The way things are going on the political front, maybe i'll be changing to Scottish.

On investigation, i'm pleased to see that uniformity has been introduced into the written form of the Scottish langauge, as in the regular use of 'the' to the exclusion of 'þe' or 'ye', of 's' in place of 'ss' for the common final 'ß', and of 'ʒ' for 'z'; in most instances 'ʒ' might also be safely substituted for the consonantal 'y', however i note that the latter has been retained when so printed in the texts.

I take it that, by the way this thread has meandered off course, there are no further serious comments regarding our summer price promotion?

bill9399
15th May 2007, 08:49
I've seen the Queen on TV, but who's Murkin ? ;)

Murkin refers to our colonial cousins, Fanie, as described by Big John (Wayne)
Can't remember which film this came from, but to quote the man ...

"Ah'm a Murkin, and ah'm proud of it!"

Think your message has got across, Lester. I will cease, desist, discontinue further comment on this thread, except to say that we also speak a dialect of firkin english here. We normally only use this on Friday and Saturday evenings after closing time.

Have a nice day, yawl.

cgriffin
15th May 2007, 15:24
I take it that, by the way this thread has meandered off course, there are no further serious comments regarding our summer price promotion?

I think it's great! If I need a second copy, or backup, I'll take advantage of it!

This might be the thing to push those undecided buyers into making the decision.

See_Mos
15th May 2007, 15:30
"aye ken fit like" as they say in theses parts!!

The translation is "I know what you mean"

It's a dialect of Scottish spoken around these parts called Doric.

We are drifting off the original topic now but I have to tell this one. Around here there is a Doric word "fit" and it has several meanings so that we have the phrase "fit fit fits fit fit" which translates as "which boot fits which foot":)

John Drew
16th May 2007, 11:21
Oh no, I created a monster.
Don't let me do it again Lester, and in any case if my wife finds out I picked up on a spelling 'error' on my favourite forum I'm dead!
The worst part is that now I will have to look out for typoss and spellin errus in mi owen posts foreva or sumwun will notus and sen me a messuge.

Back to topic... great news on the price reduction and I will promote it to my friends.
Cheers from Oz
John

fanie
17th May 2007, 11:15
Dey say thas poeple that cansnot cpell ar well endowed

lotus25
19th July 2007, 13:17
In Spain and Hispanic printed world, all texts are based on Real Academia de la Lengua Española (http://www.rae.es/) spell.

Have Queen's English some Organization like this?

John, i hope that you know to understand my own english orthographic & spelling errors. I understand you well, but is very difficult to me write in english. Probably, is the real cause of my poor participation in this forum.

Lester. Extend Lite version is a god idea. I like "USB Key" more than "Registration Number", but in some cases i would like use PROTON without plug-in my USB key, basically in first developing phase in some diferent PC of my official PC. Usually, i use a Laptop with only one USB Port (DELL-C610). If i want work with PICs out of my house, i must go loaded with the USB Key, USB Hub and his 5v power supply, and USB Programmer. As i say in other moment, i am a hobbist Proton User and usually my projects are small. In any case i have my Proton licence ;), but if i can use the Lite version to a lite project ... fantastic!!!. In the subject of the PICs, normally, i use 18fxx2 and 18fxx20.

To end, a good idea your new comercial policy. Do it easy to occasional or student users, is a good way to increment your customers and PROTON's developers comunity.

regards

bruce
21st July 2007, 18:30
Once section states;

Note: The full retail price no longer includes a Printed Manual. A Printable PDF manual is supplied on CDROM. User manuals must be purchased as a separate item.

And another states:
PDS Single User includes, 1 USB Key, One Printed Manual, 1 Proton CD

Tim
21st July 2007, 18:34
Just so it's clear its there is no printed manual included but can be purchased as an extra.

I have never used mine as I find the built in help so much easier.

bruce
21st July 2007, 18:43
Hi Tim,

I have never used mine as I find the built in help so much easier.
Me too. I just wanted to point out the error in the .PDF. Could be somewhat misleading to a potential new customer.