PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED !] Question(s) before buying...

RaceOldMan
20th September 2006, 01:23
Good Day to All....

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience using the MicroChip PICkit2 progrmmer/ICD with the Proton Development Suite.... Are they compatible? Will the PICkit2 debugging work properly. ie Step thru, set breakpoints with the ICD or do you have to use microchip's applications. If this is the case, will PDS generate the code to use with the ICD. Can the lite version generate the ASM code for importing into MPASM or is it only the full version? I am currently using MikroBasic and recently came across PDS and am very interested. I am seriously considering buying PDS. I guess that's about all for now. Thank you in advance for any and all of your help....

Regards,
Albert

Tim
20th September 2006, 07:52
Any hardware can be used with proton, however to program the pic you need a programmer. The pickit2 will only program through Mplabs which means you have to compile in Proton then transfer to Mplabs and pic up the hex.

You can debug any code in a PicKit2 but you will only be able to step at asm level.

In Proton you have a number of debugging options. The first is the free VSMs (Virtual Simulation Module) in ISIS. Isis is fantastic and if your serious then you can purchase a full version. You can try it out in the demo version.

The other option is P-ICD www.p-icd.com which is a powerful flexible system with some great features like history and a watch window with conditional breaks.

I would make a 232 level shifter and bootload the code in, it will be a much more pleasent exerience.

Shax
10th October 2006, 16:16
Any hardware can be used with proton, however to program the pic you need a programmer. The pickit2 will only program through Mplabs which means you have to compile in Proton then transfer to Mplabs and pic up the hex.

I use a PicKit2 with various homebrew ZIF / SMD adaptors.. MPLAB isn't installed on any of my laptops or desktops, just the PicKit2 software. Works a treat.. I just hit the compile and program button. The only "chore" is opening the HEX file from the PicKit2 application, but that's just a case of "file", "import" etc etc ... All becomes second nature very quickly.

RACEOLDMAN, If you are considering the purchase of PDS, go for it! I don't like spending my hard earned cash on crap software, and PDS is probably the best investment I've made. Maybe one day I'll actually learn to program in assembler, but while PDS does exactly what it says on the tin, I'll stick with ProtonBasic!!

Hope this helps,
Paul.