PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED !] Thinking of buying Proton Development Suite

seanstevens61
19th July 2006, 00:17
Hi all,

Just joined the forum.

I was just wondering as I am thinking to buy the Proton Development Suite, I am not sure what the latest version is and if I buy it and a few months later a new version comes out would the upgrade be free i.e. for the first year? I donít want to be buying something which is going to be replaced by something better in a few months.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sean

Tim
19th July 2006, 00:29
Upgrades are free for the life of the product. How long that is I would not know 5 - 10 years possibly longer

C_Moore
19th July 2006, 01:50
Upgrades are free for the life of the product. How long that is I would not know 5 - 10 years possibly longer

Hi Tim,

Don't you mean Updates?

Lester
19th July 2006, 07:02
Taken from the web site (http://www.picbasic.org/proton_development_suite.php)

It is our policy to offer free updates to the Proton Development Suite. This includes bug fixes, new commands and enhancements etc. via the built-in Auto Update facility. So long as you have access to the internet the Development Suite can auto-update and keep you synchronised with the latest version.

Because we offer free updates, the cost of ownership is limited to the original purchase price. There are no hidden charges, unlike some competitive products that may charge a license fee for the compiled code, charge for bug fixes and updates, or charge an annual support fee.

With other PICBASIC compilers you will pay many times the original cost of the compiler over the lifetime of the product. Not with Proton Development Suite!

To be clear, it is our policy to offer Updates for free, that includes anomonly corrections, minor additions to funtionality etc.
If Technology dictates that a new product is required to support new device technology or some special funtionality, that NEW product may be offered as a chargeable upgrade.

Currently we have no plans to promote a new product.

In the past when we have launched a new product we have offered a complimentary UpGrade to users that purchased within 6 months of the new product launch and we charged a small UpGrade fee to others moving from the immediate predecessor to the new product.

You may still view the pricing policy at the Crownhill web site (http://www.crownhill.co.uk/level3.php?cat=1)

We believe that Proton Development Suite offers the lowest cost of ownership in its class.

fanie
19th July 2006, 16:01
Hi Sean,

When you get the s/ware you'll be able to go online and update right away. As far as I know it will then include any and all the picmicro's supported to date, as well as the improvements done regarding the commands.

If this is incorrect, anyone - pls correct me

seanstevens61
19th July 2006, 18:10
Thanks very much for your inputs.

Sean