PDA

View Full Version : Epic Programer

RayEllam
9th March 2006, 06:27
Hi,
I have an Epic parallel programmer and would like to run it from a USB port on my laptop. Has anyone done this successfully using a USB to parallel converter? if so what model was it.
Thanks
Ray

simonl
10th March 2006, 15:05
I'd like to do this too...

Mark Rodgers
16th September 2006, 12:47
Has anyone found a solution to this, my new laptop does not have any real ports only USB.

RayEllam
17th September 2006, 00:02
the solution is buy a new programmer. apparentlly usb to parallel convertres dont work with the programmers cos of timing issues.

Regards
Ray

Mark Rodgers
17th September 2006, 01:57
The timing issues are not the problem rather the fact that theses converters are not a port replicator but a printer driver and do not appear as a port in the hardware device.

I have today found a solution that I am going to use and that is a full port replication using a PCMCIA card that has 2 independant LPT ports on it.

I have found them available at Maplin (A92FA at only 50) and seem to be as cheap as anywhere else.

Much rather do this and keep my beloved Tait hardware than go to USB and have to solve the problems it would certainly bring, it will also let me use my 8051 programmer at the same time so a double bonus.

Has to be worth consideration!

RayEllam
17th September 2006, 03:06
sounds like itll work. good luck.
Ray

Richard
17th September 2006, 08:49
I've got a spare single port PCMCIA parallel card.

20 inc postage if anyone wants it.

Mark Rodgers
17th September 2006, 12:28
Thanks Richard but I was a bit quick off the mark and mine is on a donkey from Barnsley as we speak!

I wonder if there is any gotcha with them? have you tried it on EPIC, or are you going to wait untill you sell it to tell me!!!

Richard
17th September 2006, 13:32
Mark,

I wonder if there is any gotcha with them? have you tried it on EPIC
I haven't as I have a USB Epic now, but I'd be willing to send it to you to test before buying.

RayEllam
17th September 2006, 13:45
I pulled this offa the FAQ Melabs epic site.............tread carefull

My computer doesn't have a printer port. Can I use my EPIC with a USB-to-parallel adapter?

Sorry, but the answer is no. The programming signals are generated by the PC and are timing critical. The USB adapter will cause delays that will result in programming errors.
Our Serial Programmer doesn't depend on the PC to generate the programming signals. It can be connected through a USB-to-serial adapter.

The Serial Programmer is compatible with your EPIC accessories (16VDC power adapter and programming adapters). The 10-pin header has the same pinout on both programmers. The Serial Programmer does not have a built-on 18-pin socket, so you will need a programming adapter if you don't already have one. You can purchase the Serial Programmer without its accessories to keep the cost of conversion down.

Mark Rodgers
17th September 2006, 13:52
Thanks Richard, I will PM you with address if that is ok with you?

Richard
17th September 2006, 14:08
I will PM you with address if that is ok with you?
OK, I'll try and get it in the post tomorrow

Mark Rodgers
20th September 2006, 14:01
With many thanks to Richard a PCMCIA Parallel port CardBus arrived this morning and I am very pleased to say that after installing it I programmed a PIC immediately.
The card shows up as a port in device manager and the LPT port can be changed to whatever you like.

I have not found any info on its IRQ settings which seems to be causing a little problem with some crappy 8051 software I use but Epic just worked with all its default settings.

This gives my favourite hardware a continued life and saves having to learn how to knock a new programmer into shape.

Happy Bunny!!!