PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED !] want to use picdem 2 board from mircochip

stamp_baby
28th February 2006, 12:32
Hi all,

I'm wondering if it just me, or if anyone else has had problems using the picdem 2 board with proton lite software. I'm not sure if I can use the board with the software or not, can any body with greater knowledge than myself tell me if I'm wasting my time trying to get the board to work. If the board could work with the software where can I get the correct EXE files to run the codes that I have developed in porton lite

Paul Shepard
28th February 2006, 14:28
I use the PICDEM2 with Proton+. It depends on what programmer you have. Proton produces a HEX file which is programmed into the PIC. That does not vary whatever hardware you have.

All you need to do to use the PICDEM2 is to find a lead with the 6 pin telephone type connector that it uses for programming and connect the other end to your programmer.

Paul

stamp_baby
2nd March 2006, 06:56
I don't know if its me,

but the HEX files that Proton produce are different to the ones that my software that I'm using now (MPLAB 7.30) If I copy the HEX file from Proton and try to program the chip with my PICstart plus programmer I failed to load the HEX file onto the chip. I tryed to read and verify the chip after programming and chip appears to be blank or with absolute garbage on it.

Pls can you advise of some type of solution that can help me just load the chip with the above mentioned programmer.

Thanks,

David

Paul Shepard
2nd March 2006, 08:31
David
Until about a year ago when I bought a Asix USB programmer I was using Proton+ to produce a hex file and MPLab to program it using the ICD2 programmer. I had no problems. In MPLab you must use the Import command for the Hex file rather than the Open command. But my memory is rather dim and I no longer have the ICD2 so I can't try it.

Anyone else out there doing this?

Paul

Les
3rd March 2006, 15:55
The HEX file format that PROTON produces is "exactly" the same as those produced by MPLAB. I can say this with confidence because both applications use the MPASM assembler.