PDA

View Full Version : Key Not Found

C_Moore
3rd August 2005, 21:20
Hi Everyone,

Im having trouble with the Hardware Key. I leave it plugged it the USB port and when I went to update it would not let me do so.I then tried to compile some code and the Key is not found.Everything was working great a few days ago. Can I just reinstall the drivers?

C_Moore
3rd August 2005, 21:31
Ok,
I am still having no luck. I reinstalled PDS and followed the directions.I got the notice after PDS was done installing, the new hardware was found and I procedded to install the drivers. then I got a notice that the drivers are installed and the device is ready to use.PDS still won't recognize it.DO I need to uninstall PDS altogether and start over?

C_Moore
3rd August 2005, 21:58
I installed PDS on a "Fresh" computer.One that never had It installed .I got the same results.The Key is not found by PDS.I guess the Key is Bad.How much will it cost to replace it? I don't know how that could happen.I never remove the key from the computer.

mister_e
3rd August 2005, 23:17
Weird... is the light stay on ??? Is there any extension cord between the PC and the KEY. And the obvious... is there any kind of dirt on the contacts or is one of these seems to be loose or damaged for XYZ reason???

C_Moore
3rd August 2005, 23:32
Hi Mr E,

Weird... is the light stay on ??? Is there any extension cord between the PC and the KEY. And the obvious... is there any kind of dirt on the contacts or is one of these seems to be loose or damaged for XYZ reason???

Yes the Light is on. no there is no cord.It plugs right in the USB port.I don't take the KEY out so I would'nt think that dirt would be on the contacts or the contacts themselves are worn. any other Ideas? Please Anyone?

Also I tried a usb programmer in both usb ports and they both work.

mister_e
3rd August 2005, 23:46
At your last installation, did you get that yellow bubble that said "Sparkey detected" or something like that???

EDIT: never mind, i saw you got the message on a previous post.

It could be a defect key... but probaly there's few other reason before to conclude to that.

I remind few other post about that problem before. A serach with "Key AND found" or "Problem AND install" will probably direct you to some other solution.

C_Moore
3rd August 2005, 23:48
Well,

I have Been reading the forum post on the "Wheres my dongle driver" and I have a different problem.Just to eleminate any confusion. Windows sees the key and the driver is installed with out any problems.The compiler does'nt see the key.

C_Moore
4th August 2005, 10:34
Any Ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C_Moore
4th August 2005, 21:32
Im Dead in the water here!!! Someone have any ideas??????????

bruce
4th August 2005, 22:06
What's changed since it "did" work?

I.E. new hardware, new virus protection software, etc, etc,.

C_Moore
4th August 2005, 22:28
Hi Bruce,

The only that I can think of is I installed AGV antivirus.I tried it (PDS/HW key) on another computer and I got the same thing so It must be the key.I sent CrownHill two E mails and have not gotten a response yet. Im starting to get frustrated.

the.fox
4th August 2005, 22:43
You could try going into the device manager and look for the Spark key under
"Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Check that there is no errors under device status.

Also from here you can right click and unistall the driver. Then put the dongle back into the PC and reinstall making sure that you pull the driver files from your CD (just in case these have got corrupted).

Paul

Mark Rodgers
4th August 2005, 22:44
The chances of the dongle being faulty in that way are limited, if I was stuck like that I would try to restore (I use XP Home), to the point prior to Proton upgrade and see if you get it going at that point, and disable or uninstall the AVG untill the Proton is going ok, I use AVG with my system but it was installed post Proton!

I have to say that I would be astonished if the trouble was in the dongle/Proton area, perhaps we might hear from Crownhill about their views of reliability and if it has ever been the case that a dongle has simply failed?

If you assume that Proton is not at fault then what could possibly be the cause(Spock logic!)

Good luck.

C_Moore
4th August 2005, 23:04
Paul, and Mark thanks for the Replys.

Paul,

I have checked the device manager and all is OK.I Don't mean to repeat my self,but I have reinstalled PDS and the Drivers.I even went to another computer and installed everything and I can't get it to work.

Mark,

Originally I installed AGV after I installed PDS and everything was working fine.I have not used PDS for a few days and noticed the updates were out.I went to update and was unable to get the last update because of the Key not being recognized.I tried to compile some code and that would'nt work either.I have reinstalled everything,checked to make sure that all the files are in the right places,but it will not work.I'm curious of the return/replacment policy of the key is? Has a situation like this been taking into concideration before the Hardware key method was implemented?

Mark Rodgers
4th August 2005, 23:50
I do not know the returns policy, but I would expect if there is a fault with the key it can be solved easily by Crownhill.

I honestly think the trouble lies else where, are you able to restore the PC back to a time prior to the fault? It is easy to blame the dongle for a fault, but the system is just as likely to be compromised by something else, I also run AVG and AD Aware, Spybot and Zone Alarm and do not have any clash problems. You say that Windows sees the key and it is registered, then it must be ok, the fault will be in a clash of software, I remember the previous thread regarding the problem and it seemed that the registry did not easily give up its hold on the machine!

Can you save all your .bas files and remove all instances of PDS from the system(including the Registry) and reinstall from the original CD to see if you can get the registry to recognize the key(without having any form of firewall or virus protection on)

Also have you tried to remove all forms of virus and firewall protection from the system and rebooted?
I know this is all basic stuff but I am sure there will be a simple solution.

C_Moore
5th August 2005, 00:00
Hi Mark,

Can you save all your .bas files and remove all instances of PDS from the system(including the Registry) and reinstall from the original CD to see if you can get the registry to recognize the key(without having any form of firewall or virus protection on)

Also have you tried to remove all forms of virus and firewall protection from the system and rebooted?
I know this is all basic stuff but I am sure there will be a simple solution.

I have already uninstalled PDS,Removed all associated folders and restarted the computer.I then reinstalled PDS and Spark dongle drivers with no errors,I plugged in the key and windows hardware wizzard opened and drivers were installed.I opened PDS,tried to compile come code and got the PDS error message. As mentioned before I installed it on another computer as well with no results.

wolfram
5th August 2005, 01:20
Hello Charlie M.,

i'm afflicted with a quite similar problem. My dongle disappears frequently (every 2-24 hours). I can reproduce this effect on three computers with different OS (Win2k Prof. / WinXP Prof.). I never modified the hardware/software configurations.
I notice this problem since i upgraded to the PDS.
Sometimes it helps simply to unplug/plug the dongle - most times not.
My - annoying - "solution" is to carefully clean the contacts of the dongle with a contact cleanser (Isopropanol/isopropyl). This method is very reliable - the dongle is recognized prompt ... but after 2 to 24 hours the dongle gets lost again: the compiler stops execution (sometimes it hangs, sometimes throws the "no dongle" error message).
... and - yes - the red LED is always on and the Windows System shows no problem with the Spark driver.

---
Wolfram

C_Moore
5th August 2005, 01:52
Thanks for your reply.At least I and others Know that I'm not Crazy.I had the same thing happen to me also with the key disappearing.I will try to clean it with something and post my results.

C_Moore
5th August 2005, 10:44
Dear People at CrownHill,

I don't like to make a scene,but I have been dealing with this problem for two and a half days now with out any input from you. I have sent three emails and no response either.I know that the support is Better than this.I understand that you people might be busy,but I am a customer too and need this resolved.I have done everything to sest the software and the key.I have tried it on another computer and the problem goes where the key goes.I appologize if I seem rude,but Im am getting no input from you.

Tim
5th August 2005, 15:21
I'm very sorry Charlie

I have been reading about your troubles and like you had hoped for a better response from the boss's.

I work very hard to help the users which in turn I think helps Proton, I don't like the idea that my hard work is unraveling. I'm sorry I have no answers but I would have thought the developers would be able to help.

Lester
5th August 2005, 15:32
Hello C_Moore,

I have to say that i've not seen any emails directly to us from you regarding this probelm.

You seem to ahve a very unusual probelm, in that the Key is recognised and registered by Windows/the driver (the light is on) but PDS responds as if no key is found.

The only way that this could happen is if the USB key had "lost" its unique ID thats burned into it by us. If that is the case the key needs to be replaced, (we'll investigate exactly what data is now in the key to determine the cause of the probelm).

If you purchased your PDS from us, please return the key to us with a covering letter and we'll replece it, we''l test it and ship a replacement on the same day that we receive the returned unit.

If you purchased from a reseller, they should be able to offer the same service, Both resellers that cover the USA have spare keys supplied by us to cover this type of probelm....though its not happened before we thought we should be prepared.

From our web site: The costs of shipment and insurance of goods in transit to Crownhill under a warranty claim, is not covered by Crownhill's warranty policy. The cost of replacement and return postage / packing will be covered by Crownhill.

When returning goods, please ensure that you pack the goods in a proper manor, goods damaged in transit will not be covered under warranty. You should also ensure that you return the goods by some form of registered and insured delivery, as goods lost in transit to Crownhill are not covered by Crownhill's insurance.

With any warranty claim or goods returned for any reason, please ensure that you include a description of the problem, how the product has to be used to replicate the problem. Please also ensure that you include your name, address, telephone number and your original invoice number with the package.

C_Moore
5th August 2005, 16:57
HI Lester,

Thanks for the reply.I have indeed sent emails to tech support,and sales listed on CrownHill's web site. The original invoice is for Proton Plus.The copy of PDS that I have is a complemintary copy.So What can I do.I will package it up and send it out ASAP. Thanks for the help.

Lester
5th August 2005, 17:42
Hello, if you qualified for a complimentary copy of PDS thats fine, you get full support and warranty just as if you purchased PDS. Send the key back under warranty and we'll exchange it same day.

Regards

C_Moore
5th August 2005, 21:52
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I know that you are doing a great job thanks.I just wished that it did'nt take so long to get a response from the developers.

Lester,

Thanks again for replying.I was starting to think that I was being ignored by CrownHill.I will send out the Key Tommorrow(saturday).I know that the Hardware key is Pretty Bullet Proof,but they are not Perfect.I hope that this the only instance of this Problem.I will Pay for Return shipping.