PDA

View Full Version : Proteus VSM & PDS license mixture?

salman
22nd November 2004, 18:45
I am interested in acquiring the Proteus VSM PIC Bundle (SOFTWARE ONLY) due to the dicsount offered to PDS users.

There are a few questions though:

1. PDS uses the USB dongle (hardware license) and can be installed on multiple machines, and compile only on which the dongle is attached to. Very usefull for eg: Office PC, Laptop & Home PC - since only one is used at anytime and keeps the development momentum going. However I read from the Labcenter web site that the Proteus license is a software license, and therefore good for (and tied down to) one machine. Am I right? If so, then the concept of 'single-user-but-multi-PC' PDS advantage is lost. It is similar to the Proton+ 2.1X non-usb licensing. I have been a USB user for sometime and very happy with this method. Any luck we can use the same PDS USB key with the Proteus VSM PIC Bundle models?

2. (This question is not to upset Lester !) Can the same Proteus VSM models be used with PIC 'C' (CCS) compiler ? I have a PC in my lab with the C compiler installed (this guy just won't leave C !), and now also have a PDS installed ( when he gets stuck with C, I put in my USB dongle, write fewer lines of code in basic and show him how easy it is :rolleyes: ! ). What if I was to install the Proteus VSM for PICs on this machine and use it with either C or PDS. Will it work, or are there different versions of C and basic?

3. Regarding Proteus 'updates': From Labcenter website, it is quite clear on upgrades, but additions to supported devices , eg: PIC16F676, 16F818/9, etc, is included in the updates? or will this be 'upgrades'? or not to be added?
On the subject of upgrades: The difference in prices will now be larger due to the current discount - How will this effect those who avail this discount?

Maybe Lester, or perhaps Labcenter could answer these to help me in my decision to spend 475 :confused: ....

Thanks
Salman

Lester
23rd November 2004, 04:54
I will discuss your points with the people at Labcenter today and one of us will post a reply.

Your points are very valid and something that I am aware of.,though no one to date has asked for the funtionality that you have requested, it makes perfect sense to me.

Regarding your use of CCS 'C', more power to your elbow, you should always use the best tool for the job, something that some of our critics simply don't seem to understand - Proton does not pretend to offer the same functionality as a 'C' compiler :-), its great that you have access to both tools, you're one of the lucky few.

regards

Iain
23rd November 2004, 11:11
Hi Salman,

1) Proteus licences are user licences and not machine licences. We therefore have no problem with a single user installing the software on a laptop and a desktop, at home and at work etc.. The licence is bounded only in that only one person can use the software at any given time.

2) The CCS Compiler is supported through the COFF object module format (see h**p://www.labcenter.co.uk/products/compilers.htm for details).
You must have the PICC compiler version 8.01 PL 3 or later with the additional patches for COFF support. You should then compile your code with the -MPLAB option and specify the .COF. Please see HiTech's website for more information.

3) New variants would be included within the upgrades/updates scheme - while your USC is valid you are entitled to everything that comes out related to the software you have licenced. Obviously you are not entitled to variant releases for families of processors for which you do not have a licence or indeed for new families of processors (for example the DSPIC if and when that is released) but all new variants in a family for which have a licence are included in the USC.

The renewal of a USC or the issuing of an annual USC will be based on the list price of the software at the time of renewal. Six months of free USC (including upgrades and updates) is included with purchase so you would for example, get all the forthcoming additional PIC18 variants should you purchase now. The option to renew after six months is entirely at your discretion - you can use the software you have for evermore subsequent to the expiry of your USC but will simply be unable to install and run versions of the software released after your expiration date.

I hope this answers your questions.
Iain.

Iain
23rd November 2004, 11:49
Errr.... whoops re. Question 2 :

The *CCS* compiler is supported through the COD format (and does have limitations associated with it because that format is basically naff).

The Hitec PICC compiler (as opposed to the CCS PIC 'C' compiler) is supported as per my previous mail.

Details of support and limitations are given on the URL in my previous mail - sorry for the confusion.

salman
25th November 2004, 17:30
Iain,

Thanks for the clarifications. I feel less nervous now in buying Proteus VSM.

Just one more thing: How much does it cost to renew the USC after six months? Somehow I cannot find this answer on the Labcenter web site. I am refering to the Proteus VSM PIC Bundle. Perhaps you could quote figures for other VSM PIC options for intending buyers. Will the updates/upgrades CD's be sent by Labcenter or Crownhill (and international shipping options/costs)?

Lester, I know that after ordering you would ship the CD. But would it be possible also to download the program(s) from 'compile-it' or Labcenter site while I (do not want to :o ) wait about 1 week for the CD?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Salman

Lester
25th November 2004, 17:40
Salman,

downloading is NOT an option for PDS, you must have hardware key to utilse the PDS.

salman
25th November 2004, 18:06
I have already received the PDS CD/dongle a few days back, and am asking questions about the Proteus VSM PIC Bundle which I am now interested in buying.

Sorry if I missed it out, but I was refering to Proteus VSM for PIC with the download question: Let me reword it -

"Lester, I know that after ordering a VSM PIC bundle you would ship the CD. But would it be possible also to download the Proteus VSM PIC program(s) from 'compile-it' or Labcenter site while I (do not want to ) wait about 1 week for the CD?"

Thanks

Salman

Lester
25th November 2004, 18:11
OK, i misundertood, sorry.

This is something that Iain will need to comment on, i'll speak to him.

regards

Iain
20th December 2004, 11:07
Hi Salman,

With initial purchases you need to receive a physical CD and a licence key. This is for security purposes - web based installations will not work without a physical system CD in your CD-rom drive (or a full installation on the host machine).

Subsequent to initial purchase therefore you can download updates etc. from our website.

Iain.