PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility with ultiboard?

galaxy
16th November 2004, 18:33
For the moment i create my schematics in orcad, and export the neccessesary files to ultiboard for the final PCB.
Can VSM do the same thing. Thus creating a component file and a netlist, which can be imported in ultiboard??

greetings, Theo

Iain
18th November 2004, 11:57
ISIS can export netlists in the following formats :
- SDF (Labcenter Format)
- EEDesigner
- Multiwire
- SPICE
- Tango
- Vutrax
- Boardmaker
- Futurenet
- Racal
- Spice-Age
- Valid

I'm not sure which netlist format Ultiboard uses but in principle, if it is one of the above, you should be able import the netlist and lay out the board in Ultiboard.

In practise however, I think you will find that manual effort is required to marry ultiboard footprints to ISIS components (the naming conventions will almost certainly be different for example).

Also, the netlist compiler was written some time ago and while as far as we know the netlist formats have been static since that time, we don't have a copy of the latest version of Ultiboard and so can't guarantee or directly support the conversion process ('foreign' netlist translation is provided in the software on an 'as is' basis).

Iain.

galaxy
18th November 2004, 19:16
Many thanks for your answer.
I dont know which format UB will accept. What i do know is that UB wants a *.net and a *.plc file.

Anyway, today i received a message from the post office that my free update is waiting there (thanks for that).
I'll pick it up tomorrow, and see what ik can do with it.

greetings, Theo

galaxy
21st November 2004, 10:07
ISIS can export netlists in the following formats :
- SDF (Labcenter Format)
- EEDesigner
- Multiwire
- SPICE
- Tango
- Vutrax
- Boardmaker
- Futurenet
- Racal
- Spice-Age
- Valid
None of the mentioned netlists are compatible with UB..:-(
This means that i have to draw the schematic twice. Once in isis, and once in ulticap/orcad. I don't think i like that option.
Donating another GBP 150,- to Labcenter to purchase proteus pcb-design is an option i don't like either.

I have no problems with setting up components in UB manually, as i do that most of the time (mixing SMT & conventional), but i need a good netlist.
Yes, there are netlist converters out there, but what i've found is in the price range $1500,-

Sorry, i have to delay the purchase of isis until my problem is solved.
(I couldn't choose anyway between isis pic16 and pic18...:-) )
Maybe i have to find the time to write my own netlist converter...

greetings, Theo